World Kindness Day is an international observance annually on November 13. This year it falls on this coming Friday.
It was first introduced in 1998 by the World Kindness Movement, a coalition of nations' kindness NGOs. It is observed in many countries, including Canada, Japan, Australia, Nigeria and the United Arab Emirates.
The purpose of World Kindness Day is to highlight good deeds in the community, focusing on the positive power and the common thread of kindness that binds us. It is also encouraging us to make kindness a norm to everyday living.
When we hear about World Kindness Day, there is this thought that things need to be grand and big, but kindness is in the little things. All of us can contribute in being kind and most of it free.The only thing we need is an open heart. Here are some suggestions of simple things that we can do in the spirit of kindness.
- Compliment at least 5 people.
- Let the person in line behind you go ahead of you.
- Leave happy notes around town or wherever you can.
- Text, better yet, call someone that you have not spoken to in a very long time
- Treat a friend or a stranger to a cup of coffee.
- Help an elderly neighbor take out the trash or mow their lawn
- Help the homeless. Buy them food or drink.
- Pay for parking of the person before or after you
- Give your seat on a bus or train to someone else that needs it
- Offer to help someone to carry their groceries (or with their groceries who knows?)
Those aren't all and end all to doing kindness. The possibilities are endless.This is just to trigger your hearts and mind. So, what do you think you can do to be kind on World Kindness day, today and everyday.Sound off in the comment section below. Maybe we can help inspire each other to be more kind and empathetic in our daily lives.